Customer Service Representative – Tier 1 is a non-exempt, multi-faceted position to assist customers with their various daily needs. This includes payments received in person, via night deposit, mail, and other methods. This position will also assist customers via phone calls and emails and assist with evaluating online orders for service connect/disconnects.
• Receive and post payments from customers via lobby, drive-through traffic, and electronic methods.
• Count money quickly and accurately.
• Maintain and balance cash drawer.
• Scan checks to the financial institution as needed.
• Verify payments posted are to the correct account such as utility billing accounts, deposits, or miscellaneous fees regardless of the method of payment.
• Greet customers and visitors as they arrive in a professional and cordial manner.
• Assist customers with logging into tablets that specify the customer’s need.
• Fulfill customer requests and questions whenever possible.
• Direct customers to appropriate CPWS personnel.
• Answer phone calls in a professional and cordial manner.
• Answer calls from customers answering general customer inquiries regarding CPWS bills, services, and policies. Acts in a professional and cordial manner.
• De-escalate situations involving dissatisfied customers, offering patient assistance and support. Coordinate CPWS efforts to resolve complaints if follow-up is needed.
• Guide callers through troubleshooting, navigating the company website and services.
• Collaborate with other Customer Service Representatives to improve customer service.
• Promote the sale of Broadband services.
• Participate in the non-pay cutoff process for past due accounts.
• Discuss payment arrangements with customers.
Customer Service Order Requests
• Assist customers with questions regarding service applications.
• Enter broadband service requests in Customer Information System software as needed.
• Participate in assisting customer requests via email or other electronic forms.
• Assist customer service staff in reviewing and processing service order requests as experience and understanding of customer account information needs increase.
• Assist in the service area by reviewing online applications.
• Receives direction and coordinates work processes with the Customer Service Representative – Tier 1 Lead.
• Enter alphabetic, numeric, or symbolic data from source documents into computer, using keyboard, and following format displayed on screen.
• Answer general customer inquiries regarding Columbia Power and Water Systems’ bills, services, and policies.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills/Abilities: In addition to acknowledging and adhering to all CPWS policies and
maintaining regular attendance at work, one must have the ability to:
• Perform duties safely without endangering self, others, and the public
• Use eyes, hands, and fingers to operate computer keyboard quickly and accurately
• Read and write
• Count money with speed and accuracy
• Speak clearly and listen carefully
• Use personal judgment and specialized knowledge to give information to customers
• Work with the general public
• Perform repetitive tasks
• Use mathematical skills to be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure
• Read, understand, and follow instructions and job-related material.
• Work inside
• Ability to occasionally lift 0 – 20 pounds.
• Ability to lift and/or carry objects weighing 0 – 10 pounds for 2 hours a day.
• Ability to sit and/or stand for 2 hours at a time.
• Ability to talk, see, hear, reach, handle, and feel.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications: High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
1-2 years of customer service experience required; cashier experience preferred; utility industry
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that additional and/or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (i.e., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments). This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
To download a job application PDF click here
To fill out a job application online click here